Black seed(Nigella sativa) is a small flowering shrub with purple or white-tinged flowers that grows in Eastern Europe, the Middle East, and western Asia.While it may look unsuspecting, the shrub produces fruits that have tiny black seeds. These black seeds have been used in remedies for thousands of years.
Archaeologists even found black seeds , in Tutankhamun’s tomb in Egypt, emphasizing their importance in history for healing and protection. They’re also used in cooking to add flavor to breads, curries, and pickles. When eaten, the seeds have a taste like a combination of onions, black pepper and oregano.They have a pungent bitter taste and smell.
Basics:What is black seed oil?
1. It has been discovered that black seed oil has strong anti-oxidant properties and thus it can be used to reduce inflammation.
2. This oil can also be used in the treatment of some health issues such as asthma and lowering high blood pressure.
3. Finally, this oil has properties which make it a great replacement for the artificial products for skin and hair care.
Some additional names for black seed oil include:
- Black cumin
- Black caraway
- Black onion seed
Due to the content of antioxidant properties, black seed oil can be used as a powerful remedy for inflammation in your body and on your skin.
Health Benefits Of Black Seed Oil
It has already been shown that black seed oil is effective in the treatment of various health conditions, such as asthma and high blood pressure. Additionally, it has shown some strong antifungal properties, especially against Candida Albicans (the yeast which can cause candidiasis). Continue reading below for additional health benefits from black seed oil.
– Lowering high blood pressure – it has been shown, that consuming black seed oil for months can significantly lower the blood pressure levels for people who have mildly elevated blood pressure.
– Decreasing high cholesterol – black seed oil has also proven effective in the reduction of high cholesterol. It has a high content of the healthy fatty acids which are essential for maintaining healthy cholesterol levels. Oleic acid and linoleic acid are some of these healthy fatty acids. However, the content of oils can differ depending on the location of where black seed is grown. Some people have enjoyed good results when eating crushed seeds.
– Relieving the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis – oral consumption of black seed oil can reduce the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis.
– Reducing the symptoms of asthma – due to its anti-inflammatory properties, black seed oil can be used to reduce asthma symptoms. Additionally, the effects of reducing inflammation in your airways could also be effective in reducing bronchitis symptoms.
– Relieving upset stomach – you can either eat the seeds or drink the oil to get rid of cramps or stomach ache. The oil can be used to relieve stomach bloating, gas and ulcers.
It is also thought that black seed oil has anti-cancer properties. This is why it is believed to be effective as a topical treatment of skin cancer. However, black seed oil can’t be used as a replacement for conventional treatment of cancer.
Beauty Benefits Of Black Seed Oil
Black seed oil can be used to treat various skin conditions and issues. The oil is available in most of health food stores and drugstores as well. Here are some of the uses regarding skin beauty and care.
– Acne – according to a study, a skin lotion containing 10% black seed oil can reduce the occurrence of acne by up to 67% of the participants in just 2 months.
– Hair hydration – if you want to have healthy, soft and shiny hair you can apply black seed oil on your hair.
– Psoriasis – it has been shown that topical usage of black seed oil can reduce the occurrence of psoriasis plaques.
– Skin softening – this oil has been added to the list of natural skin moisturizers and softeners.
– Wound healing – when applied to wounds, black seed oil reduces inflammation and kills bacteria, which improves the process of healing. It hasn’t shown any effectiveness in the growth of new collagen fibers, however, it does promote other growing factors to increase the production of new, healthy skin cells.
Note, black seed oil should never be used as a substitute for the prescribed treatment for health or beauty conditions. However, it does contain properties which may enhance the effects of the treatments and increase your health and beauty.
Uses Of Black Seed Oil
Black seed oil can be easily incorporated into your dishes and thus expand your taste. In the following few lines, you can find some ideas about foods which you can add black seed to:
- You can add toasted black seeds on flatbreads
- You can toast and sprinkle black seeds over biscuits and bagels
- You can add black seeds to your curries, soups and stir-fries
- You can mix black seed with other seasonings, such as fennel, cumin and mustard
The oil is available in most pharmacies and health food stores. You can find it packaged in the form of capsules as a supplement. You can also find it in the form of oil which can be taken orally or applied topically.
So far, no specific recommendation has been set about the amount of the oil necessary for good health. The safest way to incorporate black seed into your dishes and beauty products is using the seeds and oil. However, if you choose to use a product which is individually packaged, follow the recommended dose. It is always good to talk to your doctor before introducing black seed to your daily regime.
Thanks for reading!