Bay (laurel) leaves have been used as a natural remedy since ancient times. The ancient Romans and Greeks have used them against memory problems, headaches and joint pain, and now science has confirmed the leaves’ health benefits as well.
According to several studies, laurel leaves have a rich nutritional profile which includes vitamins, minerals and other essential nutrients. Laurel leaves also contain antioxidants which can fight free radicals in the body and prevent the development of cancer.
Here are the main health benefits of laurel leaves:
- The vitamin B found in laurel leaves can regulate the function of your organs and nerves and your hormonal levels as well. Regular consumption of the leaves can also regulate your blood sugar levels, which is great for diabetics.
- Some of the chemical compounds in the leaves can boost your digestion and disinfect your gut. Drinking dry laurel leaves tea can relieve various digestive problems and suppress your cravings.
- Bay leaves are rich in vitamin A which is required for proper eyesight, skin and hair health. Vitamin A is an antioxidant that can reduce the risk of several types of cancer.
- Drinking laurel leaves tea every day can clean your sinuses and relieve the symptoms of flu and colds.
- Laurel leaves tea can be used as a remedy against inflammation, wounds and burns on the skin, as well as against muscle spasms and pain. There are plenty of laurel leaves supplements in the form of lotions, gels, pills, moisturizers and other products.
- Laurel leaves contain minerals such as magnesium, potassium, manganese, iron, zinc and copper which are important for proper muscle function, blood cell production and even the function of some enzymes.
Laurel leaves can stimulate sweating, relieve inflammation, improve your brain function, calm down the nervous system, relieve joint pain, improve your digestion and treat varicose veins. Here’s how to prepare a great healing laurel oil recipe at home:
250 ml. of olive oil
30 gr. of laurel leaves
Crush the leaves with a mortar and pestle until they release their oil, then pour the olive oil over them and mix well. Close the container and leave it in a cool and dry place for 2 weeks, then replace the leaves afterwards and repeat the procedure once more. When the oil is ready, soak a gauze or cloth in it, squeeze the excess and apply it on the affected area.
Rubbing this homemade oil on your joints can relieve pain, while rubbing it on your temples can relieve headaches and migraines. This oil regulates body temperature effectively and some people use it as an alternative to aspirin. It can also relieve numerous skin problems such as acne, pimples and blackheads, and can relieve stomachache as well. Prepare the oil yourself and start using it and you’ll be amazed by the results!
It is not recommended that pregnant mothers or nursing mothers intake laurel, one of the main reasons is that they contain chemical compounds that act as a stimulant to the uterus and can be classified as an abortifacient (a substance that causes abortion or interfere with pregnancy). Also,discard Laurel from the food before serving since they may cause choking, may cut tongue and injure digestive tract.
Note:Before starting a treatment with taking natural medicines, be sure to consult your doctor.
Thanks for reading!