Maca root is a member of the radish family. Known as the ‘Peruvian Ginseng,’ it can be found in the mountainous regions of Peru and its health benefits have long been known. Today, Maca is usually commercially available in its powder form, and it is a popular ingredient in many food and food supplement products.
There are no known serious side effects associated with the use of the herb, but just like other supplements, it must not be ingested in large amounts. It is an ideal ingredient in salads, smoothies, cooked dishes, and juices. Adding it to very hot dishes, however, may make it lose its benefits.
BENEFITS AND USES OF MACA ROOT
– As a Sexual Function Booster: The herbal supplement is widely used to boost sexual functions in men and women alike. It enhances libido and improves endurance in bed. It is also known to help maintain hormonal balance and promote fertility.
– As a Source of Vitamins: Maca contains generous amounts of B vitamins as well as vitamins C and E. It is also a rich source of iron, zinc, amino acids, phosphorous, and magnesium.
– For the Enhancement of Health and Mood in Women: Maca is heaven-sent for women undergoing menopause and those suffering from menstrual issues because it helps alleviate body pains, cramps, hot flashes, mood swings, anxiety, and depression. Pregnant or lactating women, however, should refrain from taking the herbal supplement.
– As a Source of Energy: Energy levels are expected in increase within days of using the supplement. Likewise, there will be noticeable improvements in stamina. This is why a lot of elite athletes take Maca supplements to achieve optimum athletic performance. People who easily get tired can try the supplement to find out if it will benefit them. Just a small dose could be enough to provide them with the energy boost they need.
– To Help Maintain Mood Balance: The supplement can help people deal with stress, anxiety, depression, and mood swings. Some people have even reported improvements in focus and mental energy. Much of the evidence regarding this area is anecdotal, though.
– To Aid in the Treatment of Skin Disorders: Maca can help clear blemishes, acne and other skin diseases. Likewise, it can be used to lessen skin sensitivity to hot or cold weather as it enables the skin to endure extreme temperatures.
– To Help Improve Overall Health and Wellness: Maca provides help in this area in a number of ways. It provides the body’s iron requirements and helps in the restoration of red blood cells that are needed to ward off anemia and cardiovascular diseases. Maca also keeps the teeth and bones healthy and speeds up the healing of wounds. When combined with a good workout, a significant increase in muscle mass will be evident.
However, patients with hormone-related cancers such as ovarian and testicular cancer are advised against the ingestion of the supplement. Those with high blood pressure or liver disorders, on the other hand, must first consult with a medical professional before taking Maca root supplements.
Note: Peruvian natives believe that consuming fresh maca root may have adverse health effects and recommend boiling it first.Additionally, if you have thyroid problems, you may want to be careful with maca, because contains goitrogens, substances that may interfere with the normal function of the thyroid gland.
Thanks for reading!