The incredible influence of olive oil on our health has long been known. But rarely anyone knows that the olive leaves have healing properties.
Most of us enjoy in the consumption of olive oil and are well aware of its healing properties. But we do not know that olive twigs can help us for many things. It is precisely the olive leaves that are a traditional medicine that has been used for centuries for therapeutic purposes.
One of the essential ingredients in an olive leaf is called oleuropein. This contains antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-fungal properties. Several studies have shown that it lowers blood pressure as well as sugar, and contains more antioxidants than green tea. Today it is commonly used in the form of an extract or as a tea.
Take a look at the incredible health benefits of the olive leaves and get ready to be thrilled
1. Helps in healing osteoporosis
Oleuropein stimulates development of cells that are responsible for development of bones. Thus way helps in prevention and treatment of osteoporosis.
2. Cures bacterial and viral infections
Microorganisms such as bacteria and viruses are helpless in fight with oleuropine. He prevents their reproduction, and they can not continue to spread in the body.
3. Prevents aging
Free radicals damage the skin, and leaves of the olive are rich in antioxidants, which destroy them and revitalize skin.
4. Reduces blood pressure
Experts have proven that oleuropein improves circulation, prevents formation of blood clots and reduces pressure.
5. In fights against bad cholesterol
Many ingredients in olive leave prevent the formation of bad cholesterol in our body. Such as oleuropein, that is believed to help combat the risk of cholesterol by reducing the levels inside the body.
Recipe for tea from olive leaves
- 15-30 dried leaves of olive
- 2-3 deciliter (or 10 oz) of water
Method of preparation
Put the leaves in the water and cook for 10 minutes. Then remove the water from the fire and allow it to cool for about 15 minutes. If necessary, add lemon juice and honey to enhance your taste. For maximum effect, drink this tea regularly for at least several weeks.
Olive leaf is generally safe and does not cause any serious side effects. But, pay attention to the following side effects and precautionary measures:
- Dizziness in people with low blood pressure.
- Can cause stomach irritations, especially if the tea is too strong.
- Before use the tea, seek advice from your doctor, if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Do not take olive leaf with blood pressure medications since it lowers blood pressure.
- Do not use tea if you are taking blood thinners, because it may increase the effect of the same.
- If you are on diabetic medication before using the tea, consult your doctor.
- Some other side effects may include diarrhea, acid reflux and heartburn