It is very important to understand the importance of detoxification and employ it to clean the system of detrimental toxic waste.
Have you ever come across the word ‘beet kvass”? For those who haven’t, this term refers to a potent medicinal tonic made by fermenting stale bread, resulting in fizzy tonic with unique taste and a wide plethora of health benefits.
What makes this beverage so effective is inclusion of beetroots. Beets are nutrient-dense veggie which is often used in different DIY natural remedies. They support detoxification of the liver and kidneys, promoting regularity and boosting digestion.
Kvass is a traditional Russian beverage, typically made with sourdough rye bread. It is prepared differently in different regions, but in all regions people use it in soups, vinaigrettes, and borscht.
Health Benefits of Beet Kvass
Beet kvass is loaded with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. It is made through fermentation, a process in which the beetroot is converted into kvass. Fermentation itself boosts its nutritional profile and promotes gut health thanks to the addition of healthy probiotic enzymes and bacteria. What`s more, it also increases the bioavailability of nutrients from the food you consume.
As little as 4 oz (118 ml or 0.5 cup) shot of fermented beet juice two times daily is enough to alkalize the blood, cleanse the liver, promote regularity, improve digestion, and treat kidney stones and similar health issues. If you are interested in preparing this medicinal tonic, read on!
Beet Kvass Recipe
The preparation of beet kvass is extremely simple, it calls for a few common ingredients, and it takes a few minutes only! However, it needs a few days to ferment.
- Glass jar (half a gallon)
- Purified water
- 4 organic beetroots
- 1 tbsp of Himalayan salt
- Orange, ginger, lemon, spices ( optional)
- Wash the beets thoroughly, chop them into cubes, and put them in the glass jar.
- Pour the filtered water in the jar, leaving an inch of space at the top.
- Add salt and spices of choice.
- Cover the jar with a towel or cheesecloth, securing it with a rubber band.
- Keep the jar in the kitchen for 3-5 days, at room temperature. Check the content every day, and remove the foam that appears on the surface.
- Once the beet kvass turns dark, deep red, it means that it`s ready. You should also notice fizzy bubbles at the top. Remove the cheesecloth, replace it with lid, and put the jar in the fridge.The fermentation process will continue.
To sum up, this potent drink is one of the great probiotic foods, ably improving intestinal tract and boosting immunity, promoting liver detoxification, balancing out pH levels, and purifying and alkalizing the blood. What`s more, it works as a natural cancer treatment due to the combination of potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
Thanks for reading!